Sunday, September 17, 2006

Tool at the Target Center

Last night I went with my friends Jeff and Javen to my first Tool show. This was also my first time seeing any concert at the Target Center. The down side of the experience is that the sound system is pretty muddy, but at least I was warned about that before going.

Anyways, we got in our seats a few minutes after the opening band, Isis, started their performance. I did not find them all that interesting, but to be fair, I am unfamiliar with their music.

Tool began about thirty minutes after Isis finished playing. The stage was very wide with a large amount of space between each of the band members. It looked very clean. They had a curtain above them, and there were film screens behind them.

As I am very new to them, I did not know much material other than that on 10,000 Days.
Those songs comprised at least half of the show. I was especially moved by the pair of songs Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. They refer to the 27 years between Maynard's mom's stroke and her death.

I spoke with my friends after the show. They noted that Maynard was less energetic than in other Tool shows they have seen. Still, Tool is definitely music that sticks to you. It is extremely complex musically and lyrically. The movies and images playing behind them are quite thought provoking. Some are in stop motion. Others are mystical in nature, featuring Alex Grey's amazing artwork. The whole experience is quite unique, with a fanbase that comes from very diverse parts of society.

Tags: , ,

2 comments:

TerraPraeta said...

First show? Welcome to the 'community'!

We have seen them four or five times now, even traveling a little (once for tool, a couple times for APC) to see them. I always enjoy it.

I just wish it was easier to connect with other fans at the shows, but I have always found the crowd to be a little stand-off'ish.

What'cha gonna do?

tp

Joe Erjavec said...

Thanks, it was a good time!

The dynamics of a larger show like in a sports place are tough, too--they certainly don't lend themselves to a community feel, especially if the crowd is already a bit stand-offish.