Thursday, August 31, 2006

"Umphrey's on a Stick"

Last night I went to the Minnesota State Fair for the second time this season. However, my reason was for music and hanging with a couple of friends, instead of eating a ton of food. (I did try the hotdish on a stick. Interesting and not too bad. B-)

I met my friends John and Tracy last year through a music social networking site, and our first concert together was Gov't Mule at the Minnesota Zoo. We went to a couple of others, including Umphrey's McGee. I knew little about them, except that they were part of the jam band scene. I didn't warm up to them at first, but I had a great time by the end of the show. They seemed a bit more calculating and orchestrated like Frank Zappa. One of my online buddies said it was like math being done on stage.

I haven't listened to any of their music since last year's show, but I was excited to see them play again. They played an hour-and-a-half of music. I was most impressed by one of the pieces that included four different modes of music, including a Particle-like movement, some jazz, and some progressive rock. (I don't know the names of any of their songs, so I have included the setlist below.)

I enjoy the fact that they are versatile musicians. It challenged me to listen carefully while having a good time dancing. John, Tracy, and I had a great time!

Umphrey's is playing two nights at the fair, including a second show tonight. Both are free shows at the Leinenkugel Leinie Lodge. I hadn't seen any shows at the fair before last night, but I liked this venue. Be prepared to have a good time, whether you have seen them before or not.

Set One:
Great American, Example 1, Liquid > Phil's Farm, Got Your Milk (Right Here), Uncle Wally > 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Morning Song, Hangover, Mullet (Over)


Encore:
Let Me Go Home Whiskey > Miss Tinkle's Overture

Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Java Joe,

This is Thomas Pendergrass from Walsh Jesuit High School. Please contact me as soon as you can concerning your diploma.

Check your voicemail at home.

Sincerely,
TP

TerraPraeta said...

Hi Joe,

...And a jamband fan, too! Very cool.

Do you ever make it up to 10,000 Lakes Festival? We've talked about going, but we usually do Bonnaroo so we haven't made it up there, yet.

tp

Joe Erjavec said...

Yeah, I'm pretty diverse in my musical tastes. In 2004, I saw Ratdog and the Dead, while later in the year I saw Mike Watt, Ministry, and Skinny Puppy. I get easily bored or something. heh heh

I haven't made it to 10,000 Lakes yet, although friends of mine have. Last year I went to Harvest Fest in southern Minnesota in September with my family. Next year, perhaps, I'll make it to 10KLF.

I've heard that Bonnaroo is a good time.