Friday, July 07, 2006

Thursday Knighter VII

Well, I didn't play Perry last night. The turnout was low last night, so I ended up playing the TD, Norm Myrin. It was a pretty interesting game, in which I played Black. (I usually end up with the White pieces against him.) I played what started out as a Benoni Defense (A56). On move 14 I played an exchange sacrifice, my Rook for his Knight. (I've gotten into many games lately where I've intentionally exchanged for better piece mobility of my minor pieces.)

As chess is a game of imbalances, this is not necessarily a bad strategy. However, I need to examine carefully where an exchange sac is definitely advantageous to me.

I played well with the pair of Knights and a dangerous Bishop on the a1-h8 diagonal. However, it was not enough to muster a point, and Norm eventually won.

No comments: