Friday, February 16, 2007

114th Minnesota Open Chess Tournament begins tonight

In less than 6 hours, at 7 p.m. tonight, approximately 200 chess players will gather for the Warren Stenberg Minnesota Open chess tournament. This is Minnesota's premier chess event.

This will be my fourth time playing. I played in 2003, 2005, and 2006. Tonight I will be playing in the U1700 Reserve section. As my rating is towards the lower end of the section (it is published at 1391 currently but should be about 1430 once my last event is calculated), I have no expectations towards winning my section. However, I will play every game as well as possible. Tonight is the warmup, tomorrow is the grind with three rounds for most of us. Fortunately I played in the Minnesota Class Championship in December, which also featured three rounds on Saturday. (Two previous posts are here and here.)

Details of the event can be found here.

I will report next week.

Tags: Minnesota, chess

No comments: